Web Research Guide
Automatic FOIA letter generator : From the Student Press Law Center.
Tapping Officials’ Secrets in Illinois : A useful place to help you know whether various records are public or private. Lots of info and citations on Illinois Open Records and Illinois Open Meetings laws.
Media and Public Relations The university’s public relations office. Good place to start if you’re not sure where to find information, especially on administration-related issues.
- Main administration page includes president’s office, Board of Trustees, provost, division of finance
and facilities, development/university relations, Student Affairs, more.
- Board of Trustees
- University Council: The group that officially controls educational and academic policies of
the university. Membership includes faculty, staff and students.
- Faculty Senate: Promotes representation of the faculty in governance of NIU.
- NIU constitution and bylaws
- Student Affairs and Enrollment Management
- Admissions office: Some useful statistics, including costs and requirements for admission.
- Campus Resources: A good place to find information on just about any non-academic office
at NIU. More here.
- Academic colleges and departments
- Student programs: includes Greeks, religious groups and tons of clubs and academic/professional organizations.
NIU Athletics Find information, press releases, records, schedules and more.
The Convocation Center home page
NIU calendar of events: Listed by month. Look here to double-check times, places, dates of NIU academic and cultural events.
Northern Today — the information site produced by University Communications staff. This is a public relations/marketing product.
Northern Now — the magazine sent to alumni
Illinois College Newspapers
Daily Illini – Univ. of Illinois
Daily Egyptian – SIU Carbondale
Daily Vidette – ISU
Western Courier – WIU
Nationwide Directory of Student Newspapers
U-Wire: The daily electronic newswire for the collegiate media.
ACP: Associated College Press. The main, national organization for student journalists.
NINA: Northern Illinois Newspaper Association. Based at NIU and the Star. This site includes links to other
Illinois and national press organizations.
SPLC: Student Press Law Center. A HUGE help for all student-media legal questions.
CMA: College Media Advisers (but there’s lots of info here for students, too).
Newseum: See today’s front pages and more.